In a nutshell the basic principles of sustainability are as follows:
- Linking environment and development issues
- Promoting equity within and across generations
- Integrating all three pillars of sustainability (environment, economy, society)
- Interdisciplinary cooperation between natural and social sciences
- Research and analysis of problems in sustainability
- Transdisciplinary integration of research into practice
Case studies are widely used to directly link research results to the daily work in biosphere reserves. The department is proud of its close cooperation with the biosphere reserves Schaalsee and Southeast-Rügen in Germany as well as with biosphere reserves worldwide, e.g. in Indonesia and Mexico.
The department offers various seminars and lectures to its students in order to disseminate the idea of sustainability science.
Consultation hour of Prof. Stoll-Kleemann
- by arrangement
Department of Geography
Sustainability Science and Applied Geography
Prof. Dr. Susanne Stoll-Kleemann
Tel: +49 (0)3834 86-4502
Fax: +49 (0)3834 86-4501